A few weeks ago we here at BakingSoc got wind of an awesome competition being run by Billington’s Sugar (check out the site here!)
The challenge was to create one of their delicious recipes using one of their many sugars and then capture your #BakeFace on how you felt eating it! Billington’s has one of the widest selections of sugars you can buy, meaning there are all sorts of recipes you can create with them. Their full range includes:
- Golden Caster (my preferred choice for everything- gives so much more flavour!)
- Light and Dark Muscavado (lovely caramelly flavours with your preferred strength)
- Light and Dark Brown Soft (perfect for squidgy cookies and dark cakes)
- Molasses (a thick heavy syrup which has a slightly bitter edge- amazing to offset other sweet flavours
They’ve got loads more but these are some fantastic ones to give range to your baking. I particularly like golden caster sugar as for me, even for Victoria Sponges, it gives a beautifully warming caramel flavour which intensifies the vanilla if using a proper paste or seeds themselves. We were very kindly sent a fantastic hamper to sample all of these delights and we got to work baking straight away!
How good does all of that look? It also came with a great recipe which we’ll include below! We had so much fun throughout the day and even had the brilliant Chad and Justine in from LSTV to film our antics and create a super duper video that shows how we made them…
Our BakeFaces were something else! We’ve picked our favourites for you to have a look at but what would really really help us out is if you go to THIS LOVELY LINK HERE and vote for Dom and her beautiful face! We’ve got the chance of winning some lush prizes including a Kenwood Mixer which would of course be for society use as well as some cool aprons which everyone could use in our workshops and masterclasses!
So without any further ado; here is the Billington’s Cherry Brownie recipe!
- 250g Billington’s Unrefined Dark Muscovado Sugar
- 200g unsalted butter
- 350g 70% dark chocolate, chopped into pieces
- 3 medium eggs
- 50g self-raising flour
- 100g Billington’s Natural Glacé Cherries (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas mark 5, line a 20cm square tin with baking parchment.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water.
- Whisk the eggs until pale and fluffy. Add the Dark Muscovado Sugar and whisk until thick. Gently fold in the chocolate.
- Sift in the flour and fold in until the mixture is smooth. Mix in the glacé cherries.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 30-35 minutes, until you see a paper-like crust on top. There should still be some movement in the centre of the tin.
- Remove from the oven, leave to cool, then cut into squares.
We found they actually needed a bit longer in the oven but that could’ve been because we used a siliconebrownie tin rather than your normal metal ones, which could’ve affected the mixture! As you can see they didn’t hang around for long…
We’ve loaded up all of our pictures into this fab slideshow so you can see what we got up to and how gorgeous chocolate looks when it’s all melty with butter… #foodporn alert!
Thank you so much to Billington’s who supplied us with the fab ingredients to make these delicious brownies! And don’t forget guys: GO AND VOTE HERE FOR MY BAKEFACE!